Goals and Values
Legacy Conferences exist to equip the Church for fulfilling the Great Commission* among Muslims. We seek to do this through the sound exposition of Scripture,** testimonies, corporate worship and prayer, and informing attendees of ministry opportunities among like-minded believers. Our speakers are selected for their commitment to Jesus Christ with priority given to Christians who have been personally involved in ministry to Muslims.
*Matthew 28:18-20; cf. Isaiah 42:6-7; 52:7; 60; Mark 16:15-16; Luke 24:45-49; John 4:34-38; 10:14-16; 20:21-23; Acts 1:8; 2:38-39; 11:1-26; 13:46-47; 26:15-18; Romans 10:4-17; 2 Corinthians 5:13-21; Revelation 5:9-10; 7:9-10; 14:6-7
**This refers exclusively to the Old and New Testaments of the Bible.
1. To carry on the legacy of Samuel Zwemer by examining and promoting biblically-sound missions principles regarding ministry to Muslims and converts out of Islam.
2. To stimulate individual and local church commitment toward evangelizing Muslims in the United States and the world, as well as discipling converts out of Islam.
1. Legacy Conferences affirm the divine inspiration, truthfulness and authority of both Old and New Testament Scriptures in their entirety as the only written word of God, without error in all that they affirm, and the only infallible rule of faith and practice. (e.g., 2 Tim 3:15-17; 2 Pet 1:20-21; cf. John 10:35: "Scripture cannot be broken"; Deut 8:3; Matt 4:4)
2. Legacy Conferences affirm that the Gospel message as taught in Scripture is exclusive in its claims and applies to all cultures. (regarding exclusivity: e.g. John 8:24; 14:6; Acts 4:12; regarding applicability to all cultures: e.g. Isa 49:6; John 1:12; 10:15-16; Acts 2:39; 13:47; 15:7-21; 17:16-34; Rom 1:16; 3:19-30; Rev 5:8-10; 7:9-10; 21:24-26)
3. Legacy Conferences affirm that public confession of Jesus as Lord and Savior and public baptism is required by the Lord Jesus Christ. (e.g., Matt 10:32-33; Rom 10:6-17; Phil 2:10-11; cf. Jesus' warning about those who are cowardly or fearful: Rev 22:7-8)
4. Legacy Conferences affirm that the role of the local church is essential to the spiritual growth of the believer. We encourage active membership in the local church when one is available. (e.g., Heb 10:25; cf. Matt 18:15-20; John 21:15-17; Acts 2:41-47; 11:19-30; 13:1-3; 14:20-28; 20:17, 28-35; Eph 4:11-16; Titus 1:4-5; James 5:13-20)
5. Legacy Conferences affirm that the proper translation of Scripture precludes the use of quranic phrases, Islamic theological terms, changing words or phrases considered incompatible with Islamic doctrines, and the omission of any part of Scripture that is also considered incompatible with Islamic doctrines. (e.g., 2 Tim 3:16; 2 Pet 1:20-21; cf. Pr 30:4-6; Jer 8:8-9; 2 Cor 2:17; 4:1-2; Rev 22:18-19)
Note: In light of the above, while Legacy Conferences recognize the need to be sensitive to genuine cultural differences, we reject belief in and promotion of any attempt to Islamize the Gospel message. This rejection includes what is known as Insider Movements (a.k.a. C5) and its corollary "Muslim Idiom Translations" or "contextualized translations."